“You are a star and I learnt a lot of great stuff from you – thanks for making a good day great”
– Dee Blick, The Marketing Gym
Gerry Maguire Thompson MA BSc RIBA PSA is available to speak at conferences and other events, or as stand-alone presentations.
He is also a Huffington Post blogger and member of the Professional Speaking Association
Gerry’s talks are informative, transformative and entertaining.
Serious and humorous topics include:
- Priceless life skills you can learn from standup comedy
- Learning from comedians for public speaking confidence
- The power of being in the present moment
- How comedy saved my life
- The power of improvisation
- Buddhist principles for successful living
- Annoying things people keep saying
- Using humour in business
- Cats are from Venus, Dogs are from Mars: a parody of human relationship
- How to be the world’s worst networker
Topics can be tailored to your requirements, can be as funny as you want them to be, and can have an interactive element if required – including seminars or workshops.
Gerry talks about what standup comedians can teach speaker/presenters:
Click here to view full 30 minute version, with audience Q +A
Review of this presentation by host Abigail Burgess:
“Yesterday we held our first networking hub of 2018 and it was a huge success. Our guest speaker was the wonderfully amusing and best-selling author, Gerry Thompson of Positive Comedy with his topic of choice – “How to become a better speaker/presenter, learning from what stand-up comedians know”.
“As Gerry took to the floor it was obvious he knew his stuff, you could feel the empathy in his voice, as a young lad Gerry had too experienced the same fear the majority of us mere mortals feel when taking to the stage/floor/boardroom or any other scenario where public speaking is involved. But not today, today Gerry gave a thought provoking, amusing and engaging talk and showed us all exactly how it should be done.
“So, what did we learn? Gerry taught us how to engage with our audience, how to use humour in our talks/presentations and, most importantly, to be yourself. Being a nervous public speaker myself, the top tips I will be taking away from the afternoon will be:
- Be well prepared – practice makes perfect, don’t just wing it
• Recognise the silence – pause and take your time, don’t rush it
• Have access to your material – keep notes handy to refer to if needed
• Breathe – take a few deep breaths and compose yourself
• Focus on a person in the audience who is smiling/engaging, it will help with confidence
• Don’t look at yourself, look at the audience – they want you to succeed
• And most importantly, try to enjoy yourself!
“Thank you to Gerry and everyone who attended – Abbi”
Gerry tells the story of his journey to empowerment through comedy:
9 major lessons for speakers from stand-up comedians:
Gerry performing stand-up at Brighton Comedy Festival:
The power of living in the present moment:
Other topics for Gerry’s talks and presentations can be found here: learning resources